Monday, October 22, 2007

too tired to smile today

on wednesday night i ended up going to the black dog on whyte to see illfit outfit play for CJSR's fundrive. i hung out with jessica, which was nice, because i'd really like to get to know her better. the set was okay, but the sound wasn't all that good and i was tired because they didn't get on until, like, 1 a.m. boo.

on thursday i went to all my classes, did some anthro homework, and went to my mixed media class at grant macewan. we worked on self-portraits in pastels. I've never really used pastels before, but I think I could grow to like them. I'm not sure how to describe how it turned out, but I liked it. it's really stencil-y, with obvious, blocked-in contours. i've done quite a bit of stencilling, but usually i just keep to one or two colors. i think that because of this class, i'll be more adventurous in doing multi-layer stencils.

on friday i worked at the legislature. i forgot to mention that last week's "work" consisted of a 2-hour group scavenger hunt around the ledge grounds. i seriously have the best jobs. this week i just opened the gift shop and tagged along with a school tour. afterwards i had three labs, and then i went to rowing practice. after rowing, I met my mom (who is staying at west ed. for teachers' convention or something) and my sisters at the mall, and we went out for supper and watched the movie "hairspray." i am embarrassed to say that i really liked the movie, mostly because all I ever want to do is go to dance parties, and i think i lived vicariously through all the characters in the movie. also, that particular movie was enjoyable simply because there are so few movies that i can actually see with my family, because we all have pretty different tastes. i also bought a brown coat from costa blanca, which has already made me a happy, happy girl.

on saturday i worked at the ledge for a couple of hours. i walked there, and on the way picked up a mix tape that i knew had been hidden in the area a couple of days ago. last week, a boy found one that i had hidden in august, and he replaced it with one that he'd made, which is the one i have now. i've only listened to the first side so far, but it's good. i don't think i'm going to keep it, though: i'll either give it a listen and then put it back in the same place for someone else to find, or i'll pass it on to a friend. i just feel like i need to start practicing letting things go, which is a lesson i've known about for a long time but have a difficult time actually doing.

after working at the ledge, i LRT'd to the downtown library, where i took out 17 cds that i had placed on hold. i put them all on my iTunes this weekend. exciting!!!

instead of studying all saturday night for my archaeology midterm, i took some time off to go see "the darjeeling limited" at the princess by myself. i sure do like going to movies by myself. apparently kelsey also went to see it in calgary the same night. bff! anyway, i didn't like it as much as other wes anderson stuff, but it was still pretty enjoyable. the crowd was a lot different than i expected it to be, though: it consisted mostly of middle-aged couples. since most of my good friends really love wes anderson movies, so i think i kind of expected more potential friends to be there. nope. i studied a little bit more when i got home, but maybe not as much as i should have.

On Sunday morning I slept in, did some studying, and then LRT'd to the Ledge. to work for the afternoon. There weren't a lot of visitors, so work was pretty slack. I feel like working at the Ledge. will be a good opportunity for me to have a bunch of new historical crushes. My number one historical Legislature crush so far is Sir Frederick Haultain, who was the first and only Premier of the NWT. He wanted the territories of Alberta and Saskatchewan to combine as one province, which he wanted to be called "Buffalo," and over which he wanted to become Premier. Neither happened, and now people say that his ghost haunts the third floor of the Legislature, coming out at about 7 p.m. and tilting all the portraits on that floor out of bitterness. I don't think I really believe in ghosts, but if I did, I would definitely have a crush on his. For the record, my other major historical crushes include John Milton, John Donne, Geoffrey Chaucer, and E.E. Cummings. Obviously my leanings are towards literary figures, thanks to my English degree, but I'm pretty sure that Alexander Rutherford, Ralph Steinhauer, Grant MacEwan, and others will soon join the ranks.

today i had my anthro 206 midterm, and i got back my 207 midterm. i got an 81% in 207, but the average was 80% and the class is graded on a curve, so i don't think that's very good news for me. boo.

i worked outside supervision at the elementary school today. the most entertaining part of the noon hour was talking with this grade 6 kid who had a weakerthans shirt on. i asked him if he had gone to their recent show, and to my surprise, he said yes. He proceeded to tell me, as he walked circles around me, avoiding eye contact, that he had actually interviewed them at the show. I immediately assumed that he was maybe writing for a school publication, so I asked him about it. Instead, he informed me that the interview was done for a newsletter he sends out to his family. adorable!!! apparently he asked them why they have so many songs about virtute the cat ("it's a metaphor"), and whether the song "tournament of hearts" is also a metaphor. i'm impressed that a kid that young even knows what a metaphor is. i hope that if i ever have kids, they make and send out family newsletters including rad interviews with hip bands. so awesome.

tonight i had rowing. we are going to victoria this weekend to row in two regattas. we leave at 4 a.m. on friday and come back at 11 p.m. on monday. i am already dreading the whole extroverted-athletes-in-hotels experience. you know how it is. you dread it too. just not as much as i do.

i need to work on an article critique for my native studies class. i am worried about it. ugh.

i got letters from jonathan and kelsey this week. jon's letter was rad and included a wicked bible tract, and kelsey's was an old magazine article on jason schwartzman/phantom planet. thanks, friends!

3 comments:

K said...

i) I'd really like to see some of your self-portraits.
ii) Working at the ledge sounds great and I really wish that AB/SK was called buffalo and I hope you have a ghostly encounter there. That would be so scary and neat.
iii) I loved hairspray so much that I almost unintentionally started clapping at the end of the movie.
iv) I was at the Darjeeling Limited Saturday night. I went to the 9 o'clock show. Which one did you go to?
v) I hope I have kids like the kids you work with. If they aren't like that I'm going to let Danger and Mooch raise them as feral cat-people.

cayliedawn said...

hi kaylin!

1. next time you come over, i will show you my self-portraits.
2. i know! i hope that i can work long enough there so that they trust me, and then they start letting me take friends up to the palm trees. i think you'd love it up there. the other thing they say about haultain's ghost is that sometimes the security guards smell cigarette smoke in the building - but there's no smoking allowed!!! (in haultain's portrait on the third floor, he is the only one painted with a cigarette).
3. i'm glad you liked hairspray too. whew. i just wanted to dance the whole time.
4. i went to the 7:10 show on saturday night. did you like it?
5. yeah, those kids are pretty hilarious.

bri said...

i really like going to movies by myself too.