Saturday, February 24, 2007

this is something that has been bothering me for a long time: i don't know how to say this correctly:

"a friend of a friend's"? "a friend of a friend"? is the "apostrophe 's'" redundant because of the "of"?

similarly:
"the attention span of the children's"? "the attention span of the children"?

panic attack. somebody let me know.

2 comments:

Back to Shine said...

Hey
As far as I've been taught it's either "a friend of a friend" or [my?] "friend's friend" and either "the attention span of the children" or "the children's attention span". The 's indicates that there is something in relation to that noun. So the thing which is in relation with/belonging to the noun would come after the 's... yay morphology! ;) It's easier to understand if you've studied languages with cases in it I think... but I don't think I'm good at explaining it all.

Anonymous said...

thanks! i THOUGHT it was that way, but i wasn't quite sure. panic attack averted.