Wednesday, April 9, 2008

i haven't got a licence but i've got a lot to say

Sunday, April 6: Emily met me at Three Bananas Café at about 12:20 for lunch. I had wanted their pesto chicken panini, but they didn't have any that day, so I had to settle for a chicken pizzette. I like pizza, but it's kind of a hassle for me to eat, because I don't like cheese and I always have to pick it all off before I eat it. Not a date food. After our hangout, Emily headed to the south side of the city for some modeling thing. Ugh. I don't know how my sisters and I can be related. Both of them are vain and love modeling and stuff like that. I hate hate hate having my photo taken.

So, I asked the boy that I met at Good Earth Café last week if he wanted to meet me for a haiku-writing match. He said yes (in a haiku), so things looked promising. In my mind, this was a date. And a pretty good idea for one, at that! I thought it was a good blend of our interests (both former English majors), as well as something creative, as well as something where awkward silences were not only okay but actually INVITED as a form of creative reflection. I should write a date book or something. We met at the downtown library, and I brought my typewriter because typewriters are awesome and typing haikus on typewriters is even awesomer. So we walked over to the Citadel to sit by the little man-made waterfall amongst the trees, and started writing haikus. Disastrous things included: his decision to complement the nicest jeans I have ever seen a boy wear with the most giant, hideous green winter/rubber boots. What was he thinking? Also, his writing style was NOT my style, and I don't think we really got each other. Oh well. Talking at Second Cup was nice, though. I went home afterwards and worked on my NS 211 critical bibliography all night. It ended up being 19 pages long, but I finished it, which was really all that mattered.

Monday, April 7: I had good intentions of volunteering at the Bissell in the morning, but my brain felt really fried after writing that critical bibliography all night, so I decided to stay at home and mentally recuperate for a few hours before I began my Ecological Anthropology essay. I also walked over to CSL House to drop off my application for the Non-Profit Board Student Internship. I went there later on to talk to my CSL instructor about my final essay for her class. I had Cree at 2:00, where I found out I had gotten 97% on my oral autobiography presentation from last week! I spent the rest of the night working on my Ecological Anthro essay. It's actually a really exciting essay, because I am talking about the Iwokrama rain forest , which I learned a lot about firsthand when I lived in Guyana last year. A lot of their practices would be really beneficial to Alberta, I think. They use partnerships between government, private sector businesses and Indigenous communities to sustainably manage and protect 1 million acres of pristine rain forest, while also creating ecologically and culturally sustainable economic development. Sounds like a good idea? It is.

Tuesday, April 8: My NS 211 class had a little research colloquium where we all got to talk a little bit about our research projects. I really love doing things like that, and I've only been in one or two other classes that have done it before. It's neat to hear what other people are working on, and to share what I've put a lot of time and effort into. Afterwards we met with one or two other people who were working on topics relating to ours, and had a little bit more in-depth discussion with them. Neat. In NS 390, we talked a little bit about needs assessments for communities. In Cree we just did some review, and in Ecological Anthropology, we did the same thing as we did in NS 211, meeting with other people in the class to talk about our papers, and then doing a larger, informal presentation to the whole class about what we'd been working on. Fun. I spent the rest of the night working on my Ecological Anthro essay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's my bassoon? I have no french horn in my head phones.. turn up the trombone...yeah.. yo...

hey, guess who's back?
you are interesting and wish you'd post more... tell emily and alyssa they are ugly... you i love... you are beautiful... so quit being such a loser/dork/geek/nerd. come find me!

ps- i hate your parents...

Anonymous said...

none can come close to;
the champion of the new,
the king of haiku!

your ts.