Saturday, April 5: I started the day with a little training session/meeting at the Legislature. I was antsy because it took longer than it had been scheduled, and to make things worse, my supervisors told me that because I was going to Nova Scotia for 5 or 6 weeks in the summer, they would have to hire someone to take my place and I would therefore not have a job there in the fall. Boo.
Confession corner: I have a little bit of an addiction to awkwardness. I really like being in awkward situations. My parents have always been a little overprotective, and have therefore never really allowed me to engage in extreme sports or any other other form of adrenaline manipulation through physical activity. As a result, I've learned to get my kicks from extreme emotions. Anyway, I joined a dating website a few weeks ago because (a) my best friend had, and (b) meeting good boys is hard! At first, I was pretty embarrassed about it, but I have since decided that it is pretty much the most entertaining thing of all times. The way I look at it, only three things can really happen: 1. You meet the boy/girl of your dreams, 2. You go on dates with people, which can really only be nice and comfortable or painfully awkward, both of which seem extremely appealing to me, or 3. You get messages from idiots who appear to be only semi-literate and obsessed with their 4 x 4s, motorcycles, Oilers games, etc., and you can tell your friends stories about these dudes and have a good laugh at their expense. High fives all around. So, getting back to the story I haven't actually even started yet: I had been talking with this one dude for, like, a week or two over the internet. Nothing intense, just a few messages about Weakerthans albums and how awesome it is to live in the part of the city we both live in. He said on his profile that he wasn't interested in a long-term relationship, and neither am I, so he seemed like a really perfect candidate for something I'd been wanting to do for a long time. I asked him if he wanted to meet me and go for a hand-holding walk, and if we could continue not telling each other our names through it. Right away, he got how awesome and awkward it would be, so we decided to meet at Garneau Elementary School at 1:00. We held hands and walked around the river valley and Whyte for about an hour and a half, stopping at the Farmers' Market for some vegetables and perogies. We said goodbye near his house and haven't spoken since. It seemed so nice and innocent. I really love things like that. Not telling each other our names seemed to make the whole thing, like, quieter or softer or something. Plus, hand-holding is awesome!!! I had good intentions of going to the Edmonton Flea Market later that day, and an Illfit Outfit show in the evening, but I was just too tired. I stayed at home and worked on essays.
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment